Sunscreen is one of the most important products in your skin care routine, especially during the summer. Sunscreen, when applied correctly, can protect against premature aging, melanin deposits, and skin cancer.
No sunscreen is 100% effective at blocking UVA & UVB rays, however most sun damage is caused by infrequent or improper sunscreen application. In addition to reading the directions on the label, make sure you know how to properly apply sunscreen.
How to Apply Sunscreen Properly
- Buy the Right Sunscreen – Choosing a sunscreen is important. It needs to have: a SPF of 30 or higher, be water-resistant, and provide broad-spectrum coverage (protects against UVA AND UVB rays). Sunscreens that don’t have these essentials leave you and your skin at risk.
- Apply 20-30 Minutes Before Going Outside – Sunscreen has to have time to soak into your skin and form a protective layer in order for it to work properly. It’s best to apply 20-30 minutes before heading outside to ensure your skin is protected.
- Use Liberally – Most adults need 1 oz. of sunscreen to fully cover all their exposed areas. That’s about the amount you can hold in your palm.
- Apply to ALL Bare Skin – Don’t forget to apply to your ears, feet, neck and the hard to reach places like your back.
- Reapply! – Just because you apply before going outside, doesn’t mean you don’t need to re-apply. Sunscreen needs to be generously reapplied every 2 hours. This is especially important if you are outside for long periods of time, playing sports, sweating, and/or swimming.
By wearing and applying sunscreen correctly and daily, you’ll not only protect your skin from sun damage but also from having to use repairing and anti-aging beauty products later in life.
Schedule a Complimentary Skin Care Consultation
Evolve Medical Spa offers Botox, dermal fillers, skin rejuvenation and more at their med spa in 575 LEXINGTON AVE, SUITE 4034, NEW YORK. Schedule a complimentary skin care consultation today by calling 212-203-9428 or by filling out our online contact form.